Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate | Recipe

by - Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Hi Pixies, I know what you are probably thinking: "Jade it's nearly August, why in the world are you doing a post about Hot Chocolate?" You see whenever I'm down the beach there's nothing I love than to curl up with a good book in a comfy deck chair and drink hot chocolate to my heart's content, and I find that it also works as a amazing method to relax during all of these thunderstorms that we've been having these past couple of days, the smell and taste just make all my muscles unclench and my worries vanish into thin air.

This is actually a picture my Bother took in Starbucks last October, I'll swap it for a homemade version when my camera decides to play nice!

You'll need:
  • A mug, any mug will do.
  • Hot chocolate powder.
  • Caramel sauce, I use Waitrose dipping sauce in caramel as I can never find its squirty bottled cousin.
  • Sea salt or table salt, it doesn't really matter.
  • Milk.
  • A kettle (obviously!)
  • A tea spoon.
  • Whipped cream (optional)
01. First of all fill your kettle up with water and boil it. While It's simmering away take your chosen mug and measure out a tea spoon sized amount of caramel sauce, then pop it into the bottom of your mug, lining the base so that you will get as much flavour as possible. If you are like me and have a huge sweet tooth you can add more if you wish.

02. Next you need to get out your hot chocolate powder. Using the same tea spoon (it doesn't matter it all ends up tasting yummy before going into the sink) measure out 1-2 tea spoons of cocoa powder and add it into the mug on top of the caramel sauce, then proceed to pour the now boiled water into your mug and stir it all together of that the caramel and chocolate mix.

03. You then add the milk, how much depends on how much you usually have in your hot drinks, the amount doesn't have any effect on the drink, as long as It's in there somewhere. Then stir it all together again (bet it's smelling yummy now!)

04. Now take your chosen salt and sprinkle about a third (or less) of a tea spoon into your drink, again, stir it all together. This will give you a lovely salty taste that will go surprisingly well with the sweetness of the caramel.

05. Finally you can add some whipped cream on top and if you fancy it, add a tiny bit more caramel sauce on top of that to finish it all off! And there you have it, a delicious drink in just a few easy steps.





You May Also Like

6 comments

  1. This sounds lovely! I only go for hot drink when it starts to get colder, but im definitely gonna save this page and try out! :)

    Natalie xx
    youralmostalice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so tasty, you wouldn't believe it! I just love it when I'm down the beach, huddled up in a beach hut with the rain pouring down outside (and in the Autumn/Winter too)

      Delete
  2. Gosh this looks so yum! Might try this closer to winter. ;) ... and by the way your blog is so amazing! You definitely deserve more followers. It's lovely!

    beautybydm.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a lovely blog! I'm a new follower. Hope you will check out my blog.

    Thanks,
    xx, Gina

    http://www.lipglossonmylatte.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so yummy, I love salted caramel!
    Spider Leg Lashes xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this recipe, I'll try it out when the weather cools down. Your blog is lovely!
    http://lagerfeld-love.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog, I really appreciate it. I love reading all your comments and feel free to tweet me @pintsizepixie xo